Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tri-Boro Tales

Tri-Boro Tales by Keith Miller and Chuck Collins (plus a crew of others)

Closing out December with a pretty good entry that doesn't do enough to distinguish itself.
Doing a relationship, character driven story is a bit of a handicap around these parts and you've got be that much better if you want to make it work. I imagine if this were about Vampire Ninjas who hunt Zombie Pirates in the far distant future it would be right in the mix for #1, but it is what it is and there's nothing wrong with that.

I enjoy the art but again I feel claustrophobic. That's been happening a lot this month, maybe it's a reflection of my mental state rather than a problem with all the entries I've been knocking but just assuming my head's on straight after all, what I'd like to see is the artist pull the camera back a few extra feet every now and then.

I've also been harping on colors, so it's a relief to see some that are pretty well done. Not flashy, just effective. Well done.

If there's a problem I'd like to see addressed it'd be to make the dialog a little bit less 'busy'. What is there isn't bad but there's so much of it and some could be cut out without changing my understanding of the entry at all.

I know there's a plan that I'm not privy to, there might be a great plot element involving the chess guy for example, but as far as winning the contest goes it's clearly ancillary to that purpose.

Good entry, 3 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Michael Perridge said...

Monday is not so far away. Ten new entries to sink your critical teeth into. Hope there's one there to allow you some full blooded enthusiam. Last two months (maybe more) have been a bit lack-lustre.
Teeth, blood?!?!? Must be all those zombie/vampire stories getting to me!